Beth Ann Dion - RE/MAX Professional Associates | Southbridge, MA Real Estate


You’re serious about maintaining a clean home. Everyone who knows you compliments you on your housekeeping habits. Some of your friends even ask you for advice on how they can create a safer and a healthier home. What you and your friends may not know is how unsafe the inside of your walls are. That’s right. Your house walls could harbor dangers that you don’t know about.

Pests do severe damage to your house

Hear that your walls could be harboring unsafe elements and creeping insects might be the first thing that pops into your mind. If such images did come to the front of your thoughts, you’re on the right track.

Termites are among the most damage causing insects that live in your walls. Different types of termites are attracted to different types of material. For example, drywood termites also live in roofs and floors. Get them and they can chew away at the very structure of your home. These determined insects also get into furniture,swimming pools and paper products like books. Unfortunately, you may not notice that you have these pests until after they have bred into one or more colonies.

Cockroaches are another insect that bred inside house walls. Although they don’t destroy wood like termites, they are not pests that you want hanging around in or outside the walls of your home. Why?

Cockroaches carry germs like bacteria and viruses. They don’t mind nibbling on the same food you’re eating. Let one crumb hit the floor and a dozen cockroaches can show up within seconds, scurrying out of your house walls to the food. These pests can cause diarrhea and food poisoning. Get too many of them and you might start itching, not to mention becoming anxious.

Pests aren’t the only dangers that could be lurking in your house walls

Poor wiring is another danger that could be lurking in your house walls. Cause of poor wiring is generally the faulty work of a contractor. You may not spot this problem until an outlet sparks, not once but several times. Faulty wiring can also cause power outages and fires.

Let it leak in your house after hard rains and mold could form on the interior and exterior of your walls. Mold can trigger allergies. It can also contribute to an asthma attack. Other symptoms that mold is in your house include skin rashes and difficulty swallowing or a scratchy throat. You may be able to treat small amounts of mold that show up on the exterior of your house on your own. These are places like a bathroom shower stall or kitchen sink back splash. For larger mold spaces, call a professional.

Everything that could put you and your family at risk of developing an illness is not in plain sight. Pests, harmful chemicals and unsafe wiring could be lurking in your house walls. Despite your regular cleanings, these harmful elements may remain. In fact, the only way to rid your home of these dangers may be to contact a home inspector and request a thorough examination of your house. Money and well being that you save in the long run may well be worth it.




Loading